Tuesday, April 1, 2014

A Change to the Wonderland

Guys, I'm tired.

No, I'm not tired of blogging. I'm just... tired. My classes are exhausting, my extracurricular stuff is exhausting, and yes, even blogging is exhausting. I'm at this weird point in my life where I feel stuck. Like I can't do anything but continue this monotonous pattern of functions. I don't know if it's because I'm graduating soon and just want to get the hell out of town or not. Actually, it probably is. And I'm incredibly stressed all the time. I don't think I've been truly relaxed since... last summer. Usually I'm able to deal with all the stress that comes with school, but this semester, it's really been getting to me. Worst of all, it's been getting to my writing. You all probably noticed I didn't write much in January and February, and I didn't even get through all my posts planned for March. I tried to, I really did, but I'm just really run-down. I feel like some of the groups I review are more out of obligation than genuine enthusiasm to talk about their stuff. What I need is a change. I need a change of environment, a change of activity. And I can't do that until I'm out of high school and in a completely different. But you know what I can change? I can change what I review on the Wonderland.

So I've decided that I'm going to start reviewing boy bands.


Relax, I'm just trying it out! I was thinking how April is pretty much the start of a new season, so why not start a new set of groups to review on the Wonderland? I feel like I've really neglected male J-pop groups on the Wonderland. All the groups and idols I review are female, despite there being some very popular male idol groups. Like Arashi! And Smap! And actually any Johnny's Entertainment group come to think of it... So yeah, I'll start reviewing all the JE groups like Kat-Tun, Hey! Say! Jump, Sexy Zone, News, and that other new group that recently debuted. I can't remember their name at the moment... but I'll be reviewing them! What does this mean for the current groups I'll review? Obviously, I'll keep reviewing Perfume, but probably just their singles and albums. As for all the other groups... it depends on how much I want to review their stuff. I'll try my best to balance both the male and female groups, but my main priority is going to the male groups. So groups like BiS, Tokyo Girls' Style, Morning Musume, and all the other regulars on my group may get more infrequent reviews. And then after a month or so of reviewing male idol groups, I may or may not switch back to female groups. But who knows? I may actually get into these group and add them to my White List!

Why am I doing this? Well, I just want a change. And since I can't change anything about my external situation, then at least I can make a change to the Wonderland. I've never reviewed any male idol groups before; I've barely even listened to any male idol songs. I know that a lot of these groups are really popular, so surely there must be a reason for it! This'll be like getting into idols all over again! I want to ask all you lovely readers though; are there any good male idol groups I should review? As I said before, I only have a narrow scope of the number of male idol groups out there. I know the JE groups are insanely popular, so I'll definitely start with all of them. But what about smaller male idol groups? Is the male idol market dominated solely by JE or do non-JE idol groups have a niche as well? See, it's finding out stuff like this that makes me so excited about the prospect of reviewing male idol groups. And there's also the fact that male idols appeal to my demographic: teenage girls! Now I can feel like slightly less of a weirdo and review idol groups that don't have fan bases dominated by middle-aged men! It's gonna be so cool. Maybe I'll even meet other male idol fans! I know several bloggers who blog about male idol groups; maybe they can help me in my conquest!

So here's to the next month of blogging about male idols. As for all the other groups, I had several reviews planned, but I've decided to postpone them. Or just cancel writing them entirely. It depends on how much time I have. But it's time for this Wonderland to have a change, and I am totally excited. I hope everyone else is too. I'll post a State of the Wonderland tomorrow listing all the male idol releases I plan on reviewing! I may start with that Arashi single. What was it called again? Guts? Sounds cool!

8 comments:

  1. Best April Fool's joke I've seen all day lol!! (I hope).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I know the underlying reason behind your decision. Your blogging was an outlet to cope with the dysphoria caused by feeling like a middle-aged Japanese man in a teenage American girl's body. Your identity is shifting towards being a Japanese girl stuck in an American girl's body.

    Kyary experiences something similar where as a 10 year-old stuck in a 21 year-old's body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is THAT why I've been waking up in the middle of the night signing the Naruto theme song? I knew it!

      Delete
  3. That's a good one, but you can't trick me since your post is on April fool's day haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well, I tried! It was still fun writing this post!

      Delete
  4. boy bands in japan:
    under johnny's: arashi, smap, kiss my ft2, kanjani eight, hey say jump, kinki kids, kat-tun, sexy zone, news, v6
    under rhythm zone: exile, j soul brothers, generations
    under k-pop category: tvxq, 2pm, shinee, supernova
    sadly, it already sums up all the popular japanese idol boy bands (excluding rock bands here though)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the suggestions! As helpful as they are, I'm afraid I won't be reviewing any of them... I'm sticking to my usual stuff. Happy April Fools!

      Delete