Happy November everyone! I hope you're enjoying whatever idol music you enjoy the most! As for me, I'm jamming to Have a stroll by who else? Perfume! I admit, I'm a little sad that October's over because the Halloween PVs go with them and then we start getting Christmas PVs. I guess that's not terrible but still; Halloween PVs just look cooler. Speaking of Halloween, unfortunatley I was unable to finish my list of the darkest idol PVs I've ever laid eyes on thanks to this hurricane on the East Coast. Luckily it barely passed over the area I'm in but the Internet (and the electricity) was going out a lot so using my computer and posting proved to be a bit of a challenge. But hey, at least I'm not like my cousins; they live in New Jersey where the hurricane hit them hard. Anyways, unfortunate incidents aside, here are the top 5 and a very condensed list of reasons for why I put each one where it is:
5. Dareka no Sei ni wa Shinai - SKE48 (depressing setting and storylines, dark depiction of reality, incredibly dark PV for a group like SKE48)
4. Manatsu no Sounds good! - AKB48 (symbolism of death of a generation, stylized violence and gore, would be higher if not for the gratuitous bikini shots)
3. Seifuku ga Jama wo Suru - AKB48 (dark subject matter, strong undertones of underage prostitution, depiction of a real-life problem in Japan)
2. Keibetsu Shiteita Aijou - AKB48 (even darker subject matter, strong implications of suicide, bullying images and messages, depressing atmosphere)
1. Beginner- AKB48 (straight-up death scenes, incredibly stylized violence, elaborate and gory deaths,
Take note of how 80% of the top five consists of AKB48, the most mainstream idol group at the moment. Then again, they have the fans wrapped around their manicured fingers so I guess they have the freedom to pull off just about anything! With that out of the way, let's talk about November because for this blog, November is a very special month! Why, you ask? Because it's my birthday! Well, okay it's not my birthday but it is the birthday of my blog! November 13 to be exact! That's less than two weeks away! I normally wouldn't make such a big deal about it but do you know what this means? I've managed to keep this blog afloat for one whole year! It's just really hard to believe that I was able to do that... so yeah, I'm gonna do a few celebration posts, some insightful posts, some personal posts, you get my drift. I'll still review idol stuff but I do want to talk about my blog a little bit and how it came to amongst other things.
That brings me to another major topic: my school life. As a junior in the world of high education in the United States, I have this little required project known as the junior paper. This is a paper I need to write on any subject of my choice in order to pass English III, enter English IV, do my senior project and graduate from high school. So in a nutshell, it's a huge pain in the ass. But it has to be done and I'm the one stuck doing it. As a result, I'll have to focus on that in lieu of blogging but fortunately, November's always a pretty slow month for idol releases! The only things I can really think of that I'll review are S/mileage's PV for Samui ne and the inevitable rant I'm preparing for AKB48's Janken single. Possibly the Berryz PV too if that comes out in before December. Luckily right now I'm relatively caught up for my writing list! My draft count is only at 6 which is a low for me; usually I have around 13-20 drafts in my folder. And half of those 6 drafts already have a lot of writing in them! So let's take a look at what I currently have planned for my Wonderland!
A Look Back at Nia's Wonderland
- Since I've somehow been able to keep this blog going for a year, I think that calls for a personal post! I intend to release this on November 13, the day I posted my first blog entry on here, like an anniversary-style kind of post, you know? I've sort of been writing bits and pieces of it whenever I can think of anything I want to say. It's a little more difficult than just my regular reviews mainly because it just feels... weird talking about this blog. Reflective but weird! I feel like I have so much I want to say about my blog and I'm so happy that I've managed to keep it going for a year.
- I was chatting with my blogger friend Chiima on Skype and we started talking about how it always seemed like a blogger started an idol blog because of their love for a certain group in the idol industry. Hers being Morning Musume and mine very obviously being Perfume! But then I realized I haven't ever really talked about how I became such a huge fan of Perfume; I've mentioned on more than one occasion how much I love the group but I've never really gone into much depth about it. I think it's a good idea to write a detailed post about it since the group is such a huge part of my blog!
Kitagawa Kenji PV Review
- Since there isn't much in terms of releases for me to look at, I'm thinking about taking a look at NMB48's latest PV. It's a little old now but I think I have a few things I may want to say/critique. Like those outfits. But I'll talk about that later. If I review the PV. Yeah, I may review this but I'm still a little unsure if I'll get around to it or not. If it's a slow month for releases (which I think it will be) then yeah, it'll probably get a review! The HD PV is on NMB48's official channel (and I love screencapping HD PVs) so the more I think about it, the more tempting it gets! Who knows? I might get to work on that tonight!
My Least Favorite Perfume Songs
- Yep, I still have plans to release this post on November 13 (the day I wrote My Top 20 Perfume songs) but so far this post has been rather... difficult. It's odd because usually it's easy for me to rant but to do it about a group I love? It's quite the challenge! It almost hurts to write so much negativity about Perfume but I still think it's good to be critical of a group you love! I've written little bits of each song of the 10 songs that are my least favorite from Perfume but it's not anywhere near the amount of progress I wanted it at by now. Maybe if this is a less hectic news month for idols, I'll have more time to work on it!
My Top 15 Perfume Dances
- Yep, this post is still here! This is probably the post that I'm working on the least, mainly because I have other more important endeavors. As a result, I've only written a margin of this post but on the up side, I know what dance is going in which position! It was quite the tough decision, considering all the amazing and intricate dances Perfume has performed over so many years! Since I don't have the list out yet, for now here are some honorable mentions that just barely didn't make the list: Dream Figher, Computer City, Nee, Electro World and Spice!
How to Successfully Navigate a Forum
- So I have a very love-hate relationship with forums. On one hand, they're a great place to hang around and get news about groups you like and also share and hear different opinions. However, there are some real assholes on forums and you yourself always have to be careful that you don't come across as an asshole to other viewers. Honestly, I find posting in forums much more stressful than I originally thought it would be because I feel so self-conscious about what I want to say. So I figured surely someone else feels the same way I do so I'm compiling a set of tips to help you through the jungle that is a forum!
Nia's Best (and Worst) of 2012! - A Year-End Megapost
- This is coming along quite nicely! I've managed to create the categories I want and I've also managed to sort out nominations so far! With only two months left in the year, my nominations should be just about filled up! Just to give you an idea of what this post is going to be like, here are some of the categories I'm using: Best Overall Single, Blandest Song, Worst Use of Autotune, Best Costumes, Cheapest PV, Best Use of Symbolism in a PV, and many more than that! I counted and I have twenty-seven categories! I just hope I'll be able to finish this post by the end of 2012!
Happy November everyone! If you celebrate Thanksgiving, eat lots of turkey unless you're a vegetarian! Then eat... I don't know, grass? I'm sure you'll figure something out!