Friday, January 6, 2012

Previews! Previews Galore!

Finally! Previews! So many previews!! Okay, it's only three but I've been dying to hear new material from H!P considering I can't get near Pyoko Pyoko Ultra. At the H!P concerts, S/mileage, Berryz Koubou, and C-ute each sang their new singles live and gave us fans a taste of how they'll sound. Now because they're at a concert, they're a bit low quality but something is better than nothing in my opinion!


First up is S/mileage's new single (and the first without Yuuka) Chotto Matte Kudasai! One of the first things that struck me about this song is how retro it sounds! To me, it sounds very 50s like, and I can feel the high energy behind the vocals. However, as much I enjoy the vocals, the only member I can distinguish live is Kanon. And Meimi. But only because her voice almost shattered my computer screen. And the... lack of Yuuka... *sigh* Okay, not bringing her up again. I'll have to wait until the radio preview to really critique the song but for now I think it sounds very old-timey, and it's addicting to listen to! In another blog, someone mentioned it sounded like a number from Hairspary and I would have to agree! I could very well see it added into that play! A very small PV preview was also released and I got to hear part of the song! In higher quality, I still have "Chotto matte kudasai!" stuck in my head! The PV itself isn't much (a dance shot on the salvaged set of Anataboshi) but the catchiness of the song makes me hope, the charisma of the old members and the new members will make me enjoy this song!


Next we have Berryz, straying away from the mature/energetic theme they'd been going in for their past three single and choosing to do something a bit more happier. The title: Be Genki <Naseba Naru!> Naturally I'm thrilled Berryz is releasing a single because that gets rid of the idea they're graduating anytime soon! However... this single is okay-ish for me. I guess I've just been so used to this new direction from Berryz I wasn't expecting something so silly! It's a lot more lighthearted than the past few songs and I think that works for Berryz but it doesn't work so much for me. Granted, it's light years better than The Duck Song That Shall Not Be Named but... you know, now that I think about, Momosu could have worked with this song! It's still silly and youthful for the new members but it's not ridiculously saccharine childish! I think it would have worked out for them... but oh well. Instead we get... that. Anyways, for the PV I think it would be kind of neat if Berryz did what MM did for Kare to Isshno ni Omise ga Shitai. The cartoonish PV and maybe they could even include a plotline of them saving the world from AKB48! Just kidding, technically they're related to AKB48. And knowing UFA, they'll take the cheap route. But at least do it in a way that's fun!


And finally C-ute's new single which I've known of for a bit. Judging by the title, I had kind of figured it would go in a slower direction, maybe even become a full-on ballad and it did! I'm really happy C-ute's doing something new because I don't think they've every really done a single as a ballad. You could kind of count Namida no Iro but not really. And I really enjoy hearing something much calmer and still with a lot of vocal energy since their last two singles were so happy and fast-paced. I wouldn't say this is a rock ballad but it's something in between. I think the song has a lot of potential and I really can't wait to hear the preview! My only criticism is Nakky and Maimai don't get any lines... then again, I'm not sure how they're cute voices would fit into such a slow song; I think Airi, Maimi, and Chissa really pull off some great solos! I really enjoy Chissa's voice in this; it's very strong and really stands out to me in the preview! I can't wait to hear how the song sounds via radio. I think for the PV they should keep it simple. No bright costumes, gaudy sets, but very subdued and soft with muted colors. Of course considering the outfits they're using for the single and knowing what UFA pulls I don't think they'll be doing that... But hey, I can hope, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment