Saturday, January 21, 2012

Finally a Serious Song

I never thought they'd be able to pull it off.

When I think of SKE48, my mind drifts to their peppy, energetic singles that make me want to jump around my house like a spazz on crack. After the rather lackluster Okie Dokie and their preview for Kataomoi finally, their next single seemed promising. After waiting about a month or so for the song to come out I kind of forgot about it until the PV was released. And now I'm trying to figure out why the hell I forgot about it because this song is amazing. It's dark but not too dark, catchy, and very energetic. I think the best element to this song, is it isn't totally dark and doom and gloom. It still has a very upbeat feel to it (a signature element to SKE) so it doesn't seem out of place for the group to sing. It's still much darker than some, well all of their past singles but not so much that it seems angsty. I would actually really like it if they did another single like this because it's so well done. The execution, the instrumental, the vocals, the lyrics, and don't get me started on the PV yet. Because that's the best part about this single.

I'm glad I screencapped this before it was taken down. I've come to learn the 48 group PVs tend to drop like flies if you're not careful. So let's take a look at it!


The PV opens with Rena in a white dress lying a field, symbolizing her initial innocence.


And then cuts to (possibly) her stumbling through a city.


A flashback begins with Rena walking in on a private moment between two girls (Kuumin and Kanon) at school.


Making this the first time she's seen a lesbian relationship.


I really do love the roof they're dancing on.


But don't forget my favorite AKB song did that too.


Rena rushes out in surprise only to be watched by an unseen face.


That happens to be Jurina... I could see her as a stalker.


Awww, that's so sweet! She's giving Jurina a necklace of... eh... friendship?


Meanwhile Jurina gets a little bit close to Rena.


I love the look on her face in this shot. It's so playful and deceiving.


Poor Rena. She doesn't know where that necklace came from.


I really like how this scene shows how oblivious Jurina and Rena are.


Rena's body language is also very well-done. I can practically see how much tension she's built up.


I think Rena getting up is supposed to represent her loss of innocence in the PV.


A party. What could possibly go wrong?


I don't like the look on the girl on the left's face.


It also cuts to Jurina's... friend? Lover? Possibly waiting for Jurina?


Back at school Rena cuts her finger on what has to be blade-paper.


...

NO. I am not making a Twilight joke.


Either way, this girl doesn't like it.


Somewhat startled, Jurina does the only thing to cover up her lying, scheming tracks.


Ditch Rena and hang out with someone else!


I really like how this scene is done. It's very fast paced and choppy.


And during this scene Kinchan and Kanakana decide to experiment!


Along with these two!


I'm not sure who this is. I think it might be Churi. But I'm not sure.



And so a shot is fired in the night. But I didn't know bullets were fireworks too...


Is that Kanon? Agh, I need to learn the faces of SKE now.


And so Jurina slaps Rena in rage, adding to the list of bitchy things she's done in this PV.


But having been toyed with by Jurina, Rena slaps her right back.


No offense Jurina, but you so had this coming.


I haven't mentioned the outfits until now, but they're pretty stylish.


And the PV ends with Rena leaving the field symbolizing her loss of innocence. The end.

I love the PV.

Really, it's amazing. I think one my favorite thing about this PV is the theme itself. The main theme of this song is meant to be sexual awakening. The PV mainly focuses on Rena and her transition from the innocent, sheltered girl in the white dress on the field being shown the world of sexuality. Slowly, her eyes are opened and she's tossed into this rough, lesbian relationship with someone who's just using her. It was a promising storyline and they really took it in the right direction. Homosexuality is a difficult topic to cover in a way that doesn't seem offensive or reliant on sex appeal, especially for an idol group with such a genki, innocent reputation. I think that's what I was afraid of; I really didn't want them to think "Wow! We can use girl-on-girl action to pander to the guys who buy this song! And that will make us money!" In this PV, the idea of homosexuality isn't showcased in this glitzy-glamorous way but merely displayed. The girls in this are young, unsure and I really think that was a good way to take this concept. Their actions are awkward, unknowing and a strange kind of curious. None of them know where they're going and that's what I find so wonderful about this PV. I think it's very relatable to how a lot of teenagers feel, especially about sexual relationships.

I think what really drives the PV are the girls' reactions. Rena's reaction to experiencing love from another girl is amazing and a lot the actions taken are very deliberate. One of my favorite parts is when the two cars collide and Jurina and Rena don't notice because they're so consumed by this infatuation of something Rena's never experienced before. Speaking of Jurina... she's kind of a douchebag in this PV. I know that's an crude way to describe it but she's deceptive, mean, playful, and probably one of most stand-out parts of the PV. Then again, it was intentional but I'm still impressed at how well she pulled it off. Rena also impressed me; she has such an innocent look and that worked well for the "deflowered innocent" she played in the PV.

Once again, I can't emphasize how much I love this PV. This is like Keibetsu Shiteita Aijou to me. It has a dark theme but it handles it so well. I'm serious. This is my favorite song from them and so far my favorite PV of the yearl The rest of 2012 better pump out some pretty damn good music because the bar's been set.

No comments:

Post a Comment